Today Nathan and I took a walk down a beautiful tree lined path, warmed by the spring sun, while the music of a busker's accordion floated through the air. I looked around and wanted to pinch myself. Even after almost three months, I still can't quite believe that this is my life.
When I first came to Granada, everything was magical and awful at the same time. When people talk about Europe, you form a picture in your head of perfectly preserved fourteenth century buildings and art everywhere. And that is true to an extent. And when you visit, that's mostly all you see. The pretty parts of each city, packaged for tourism. That's all you want to see. At least that's how I feel most of the time. It's too hard to capture a city or country in a few days. You need a snapshot. And it's nicer when that picture is pretty. So moving to a European city is an adjustment. You have to take the illustrated version of what you think it is and replace it with stark reality. Walking through Granda for the first little while was both good and bad. The streets I had painted in my mind weren't quite right, and it was cold and confusing. But, at the same time, everything was new and exciting.
Since coming here, that picture in my mind has shifted a lot. From a disorienting place full of new sights and adventures to a place that really feels like home.
I spent a lot of time wandering around the city alone, seeing old and new buildings and watching people live their lives. Little by little, the city grew on me. I didn't expect to love it here as much as I do. I expected to enjoy it and have fun, but that I would miss home and be happy to leave when it was time. To my surprise, Nathan misses home more than I do. I think if I could speak Spanish as well as Nathan, I would never want to leave.
Part of my growing love comes from the history and architecture and everything you dream up when you think of Europe. But it's so much more than that. It's a feeling. Because while living abroad sounds exotic, having the opportunity to be a part of a city's heart is an entirely different experience. Spain is unique and wonderful. There is a sense of community and comradery that I've never seen before. Every day I walk out of my house and smile. To feel like you have a place in the world, a place to fit in is a great feeling, and Spain just makes you feel that way. I thought I would love the travel, the adventuring to other cities and being able to see all the amazing things that were built hundreds of years ago. And I do. But I also love just being here. And I think that's the biggest lesson that I've learned since moving here. That it's okay to just be. I spent so much of my life waiting to get to the next step - graduating high school, finishing university, getting a job, getting married. North American culture is so set on pushing people forward. It makes you believe that there always has to be something better out there. And with technology and everything that seems to be forced into our lives, it's easy to forget to enjoy the step you're on. To take chances and explore. Spanish culture encourages a life full of colour. The Spanish people are vibrant, outgoing and playful. There have been so many people here who have made Nathan and I feel at home without questions or trepidation. They are bright and always beautiful.
I haven't been able to put down in words how much I love this city and its people. I guess that's what late night blogging is for. I'll be heartbroken to leave Granada. A piece of me will always be here.
No comments:
Post a Comment